Around one-fifth of Britons wish theyâ€™d made smarter financial decisions and that they had listened more at school according to Legal & General .
10 March 2014
- Data also shows that most people in the UK (65%) would take an opportunity to re-live a previous time in their lives
-29% of Britons think they were happiest between the age of 21-30 years
- Study is part of wider campaign collating advice and includes contributions from Rebecca Adlington
Legal & General has today revealed the results of its inaugural What Would you Say to Your Younger Self? Study. The study, which forms part of a wider campaign by Legal & General to collate the advice Britons would give to their younger selves, reveals that around one fifth (19%) of people would advise themselves to make smarter financial decisions and a further 19% would tell their younger self to work harder at school or college.
Meanwhile, 18% of those surveyed say they wish they could tell their younger self to be braver and do things that will make them happier and more fulfilled. Equally, 15% would say “don’t smoke”, 9% would say look after your health, 6% would say spend more time with loved ones, a further 6% would say don’t worry about the little things and 5% would recommend paying more attention to parents advice. However, Britons are also more likely to turn to their mother for that advice with 22% preferring to speak to Mum ahead of Dad (8%) and siblings (10%). Just over one fifth (22%) turn to friends first when they need some guidance while just 2% would ask a teacher or colleague in a time of need.
Paula Llewellyn, Head of Marketing, Legal & General Insurance
Looking back it’s all too easy to think about what you could have or should have done differently in life. We hope to help people realise that making the right decisions today, could help make life better. Nobody can predict what is going to happen, but taking small steps to safeguard yours and your family’s future is a simple responsibility we can all share.”
Legal & General has also launched a UK-wide competition to coincide with the study including advice given by Rebecca Adlington OBE. The competition will be open to entrants aged over 18 years of age and will give one lucky winner the opportunity to win £1,000 worth of Thomas Cook holiday vouchers for sharing their personal pearls of wisdom on the company’s Facebook page.* Find us on Twitter @landg_uk or #YoungerSelf, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/legalandgeneral or visit us at http://www.legalandgeneral.com/life-cover to view the advice we have already received and to share your own.
Notes to editors
The information contained in this press release is intended solely for journalists and should not be relied upon by private investors or any other persons to make financial decisions.
Legal & General Assurance Society Limited
Registered in England and Wales No.166055. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. We are members of the Association of British Insurers.
Registered office: One Coleman Street, London EC2R 5AA
*What Would you Say to Your Younger Self? - Prize Draw Terms and Conditions
- To enter the prize draw, Facebook users must: 1) like and share the ‘what would you say to your younger self?’ post and 2) list in the "comment" section the advice they would give to their younger self.
- One winner will be drawn at random (using a computer system designed to select one winner at random) from the list of entrants. The outcome of this computerised selection will be final.
- Only one entry per Facebook user permitted, multiple entries will not be included in the draw.
- All entrants must be over 18
- Employees or agents of Legal & General and their families, and any other person acting in connection with this draw, are ineligible to participate.
- One prize will be allocated to the winner of the prize draw. The prize will be Thomas Cook holiday vouchers to the value of £1,000. There is no cash alternative to the prize. Legal & General reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal value.
- The prize draw will close on Tuesday 29th April (entries after 23:59 GMT on Tuesday 29th April will not be included in the prize draw). The prize draw will take place on Wednesday 30th April at 15.00 and the winner will be contacted by Legal & General after the draw on Wednesday 30th April via Facebook.
- The winner must email their contact details to us so the prize can be dispatched.
- Details of the winning entry will be published on the Legal & General Facebook page once the winner has been notified on Wednesday 30 April 2014.
- A press release will also detail the winner as well as including their advice to their younger self answer.
- By entering the competition, all entrants give permission for Legal & General to use their comments on the Legal & General Facebook and Twitter pages to help promote the ‘What would you say to your younger self?’ campaign.
- This prize draw is open to residents of Mainland UK only (this excludes Northern Ireland).
- Legal & General Contact Details: Legal & General Assurance Society Limited Registered in England and Wales No. 166055. Registered Address: One Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA.
For more information please contact:
PR Manager, Legal & General Group
t: +44 (0) 20 3124 2092
m: +44 (0) 7764 582574